welcome to our site
welcome to our site
Onyinye Ezennia Maryrose
b. 1987, Anambra, Nigeria
Artist Name: Zennia
Onyinye is a Nigerian Multidisciplinary artist, a member of society of Nigerian Artists(SNA) and Female Artist Association of Nigeria(FEAAN). She graduated from Institute of Management and Technology Enugu, Fine and Applied Arts Department with a Distinction Grade and obtained her post graduate diploma in Graphics, from Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka.
She is an explorative artist with flair for new ideas and has shown her mastery of different medium of art; Photography, Serigraphy on tiled Perspex, exploration with light and sound which has won her the prize for Originality in 2014. She explores on String art which has won her the Overall winner prize in 2016 “Life in My City Art Festival” and finalist in Visual Art Competition organised by Spanish Embassy of Nigeria, 2018 and 2019.
This new exploration with threads and nails has shown her as an artist with patience and precision. Art remains the only way through which she shares her thoughts and ideas with the aim to comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.
She has participated in various national and international group exhibitions, workshops and competitions.
My work is an act of questioning. Through photography, serigraphy, light, sound, nails and threads (string), I delve into contemporary issues, focusing on giving voice to those who are often unheard, mostly women and children. My artwork evokes emotions that have been drawn from my experiences. They’re strongly influenced by universal experiences that allows for more empathy for the numerous challenges affecting all humans no matter their origin. In the words of Michelangelo, “every block of stone has a statue inside it”. Based on the belief that every life situation has an artwork hidden in it, I makes apparent the latent. Each new situation or challenge is a conduit for new ideas.
“When I pick up my board, nails, hammer and threads to string, I understand that ideas, emotions, feelings and concepts formed from diverse experiences will engage lots of minds trying to make meaning out of life. I use string to connect lines across time and space”.
Academic Qualification with School Attended
Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka. Post Graduate Diploma(PGD) – 2018
Institute of Management and Technology, Enugu HND Distinction Grade – 2012
Institute of Management and Technology, Enugu OND UPPER CREDIT – 2009
Community College, Etche-Ndashi, Rivers State S.S.C.E. – 2007
1. Society of Nigeria Artist (SNA)
2. Female Art Associate of Nigeria (FEAAN)
“Visual Art Competition” by Spanish Embassy in Nigeria.
• Finalist (Best 10)-2018 and 2019 finalist
Life In My City Art Festival, Enugu Nigeria.
• Prize for Overall winner -2016
• Prize for Originality -2014
• Onyinye emerged the overall winner: https://www.pressreader.com/nigeria/thisday/20161106/281891592840117
• Destiny stirs discourse on violence against women:
• Group exhibition, Destiny for International Women’s Day – Vanguard News Nigeria] https://www.vanguardngr.com/2019/02/group-exhibitiondestiny-for-international-womens-day/
• Publication on the female artists exhibition in Lagos.
• Life in my city prize for originality: https://www.google.com.ng/amp/s/thenationonlineng.net/how-limcaf-lifted-mother-of-two/amp/